Helping Your Dyslexic or Dyspraxic Child
Touch typing is the single most effective way to help a child with a SpLD who struggles with hand writing and getting their thoughts on paper.
If you child has a Specific Learning Difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, ASD, ADHD and/or processing challenges, writing by hand can compromise creativity.
We can offer your child a number of different ways to learn how to touch type with us. They can choose a 12-week online course, where they will complete a one hour lesson each week. Or if you prefer a more face to face individual approach, we can offer you private lessons on Zoom.
Why choose our course for your child?
How Touch Typing Can Help Children with SpLD's
- More likely to stay on task - automatic typing gives the freedom to listen so that students can keep up and follow class discussions rather than forgetting what is said then trying to catch up.
- Homework can be completed much faster and more accurately with less strain on the working memory.
- Faster copying and note taking from the board as there is no need to break eye contact.
- Spelling patterns also frequently worked on, this is particularly helpful for dyslexic children. Muscle memory retains the patterns by this repetition.
- Increased confidence being able to get their thoughts down on paper more easily is a huge confidence boost.
We can help your child with their access arrangements at school so that they can confidently use a laptop at school and for exams.
"An educational psychologist recommended that my 11 year old son should use a laptop at school as his difficulties with handwriting were holding him back. I was incredibly lucky to find Wendy at Type IT! She is professional, understanding and kind. The guidance she gives is excellent and the software is user friendly. My son loved the course and was typing over 30wpm at the end of 10 weeks. It has transformed his academic life; writing tasks which used to be tiring and difficult for him are now so much easier. He gets more work done with less effort. I can’t thank Wendy enough or recommend the course more highly.” Mrs F.